Straight Shaft vs Curved Shaft Trimmer: Which suits you best? You already know about string trimmers, one of the important and essential tools for lawns to make your yard look better than before. Different types and models are available in local lawn care companies, and these trimmers offer you both straight shaft and curved shaft. You are informed that the working process of both types is almost the same but differs in some working systems and some other mechanical irreverence. So, it needs to clear your concepts on which trimmer is better in your perspective and which suits you best and for your lawn as well.
Straight Shaft vs Curved Shaft Trimmer
This article will tell you the very basic information, pros and cons, and differentiation of both kinds. So, let’s go…
Straight Shaft Trimmers:
The rod of the straight shaft trimmers extends the reach in a straight line from the power source to the head, and it is longer than the curved shaft, which is ideal for commercial purposes. It is preferable for taller people, which could save some back pain with extended use. Straight shaft trimmers will generate more torque because a level of driveline will produce less vibration and lower gear reduction. So it is comfortable for a long time working task. It is much more flexible and attachment-capable and has more torque and power; that’s why homeowners can fit the cutting head with various string gauges.
- Heavy-duty tools: Straight shaft trimmer is more powerful than the curved shaft for heavy-duty trimming. You may find many models of straight shaft trimmer.
- Versatile options opportunity: It is a machine for versatile application, and it offers various opportunities to work with different options.
- Reduced vibration: It has more torque, and weight is heavy, so vibration is reduced, and it remains less.
- Changeable heads: Some straight shaft models allow you to change heads.
- Expensive: It has an extended shaft that is longer than the curved shaft, so, ordinarily, it is more expensive than the curved shaft.
- Through debris: A straight shaft trimmer shaft is longer and straight so it may appear problems to throw debris.
- Height adjustment problem for vertically challenged people: A straight shaft is longer so it feels very uncomfortable for vertically challenged people to adjust their height and may cause back pains.
Curved Shaft Trimmers:
A curved shaft trimmer has a slight curve on end and is ideal for small to medium yards. It is a shorter shaft, so it can be beneficial for longer jobs and feel well-balanced. You can manage yards that require less heavy-duty trimming, more quickly and easily with this design. As it has well-balanced, so it helps you to maneuver on close areas. You may read the review on the best curved shaft trimmers.
It has a reduced length and weight, so it may be preferable for shorter folks and homeowners who have small to medium yards. Trimming by a curved shaft tends to cost less rather than a straight shaft.
- lightweight: It has a shorter shaft, so it is lightweight.
- Improved control: A curved shaft has an increased control method especially for people who are vertically challenged.
- Pocket friendly: Because of its lightweight and shorter size it is relatively pocket friendly so it needs a small narrow spacing.
- Affordable for homeowners: As we informed that it is cheaper than a straight shaft, affordable for many homeowners.
- Best for light work: It is ideal for light work homeowners with a small to medium yard.
- Reach in the short-range: We know that its shaft is shorter than the straight shaft, so its working range is generally short.
- Hard to keep the head level: It is very hard and unnoticeable work to keep the trimmer head at the same level.
- Height adjustment problem for tall people: Sometimes, for a long time at work, it may cause adjustment problems for tall people and feel uncomfortable, and it may cause back pains.
- Less torque and cutting power: A curved shaft trimmer has less torque and less cutting power, and so it causes more vibration problems.
- Limited options: A curved shaft generally has limited options than a straight shaft.
Is a curved shaft better or a straight shaft?
The debate between the straight shaft and curved shaft trimmers remains as present as ever. In this argument, the straight shaft loses its position when it comes to weights and costs. We already mentioned that it has an extended shaft. That’s why it has more weight and feels less balanced than a curved shaft which is more uncomfortable for shorter people.
On the other hand, a curved shaft trimmer is mainly used by homeowners who don’t need to use it every day. It has a lightweight and well-balanced quality which provides better maneuverability, so you don’t need to get under too many obstacles. People who are vertically challenged may use a trimmer that is not as tall as they are. In this case, a curved shaft trimmer is perfect. It has less weight, shorter and lighter, so its purchase cost is also low.
Which suits you best?
A straight shaft trimmer is preferable for those homeowners who require more functional and durable options for professionals. It can provide better durability and power to those who need to pick up trimmers 15 times a day. We all know that time is money, so you want to save much more time; in this case, you can choose a straight shaft without any doubt as it can do the job quickly and finely. You can spend less time bending over for extended reach, which can save you from back pains.
On the contrary, a curved shaft trimmer is the first choice for homeowners who don’t need to use it daily. It has a lightweight and well-balanced quality, and its maneuvering quality is excellent. You can trim the grass below your cars, other vehicles, furniture, small huts, and so on. You find that you have copious amounts of control. In tighter areas and posts of the fence, you need to lose some flexibility when you use a curved shaft trimmer.
The argument summarises that both of the trimmers have their benefits and weaknesses. So which you want to purchase and use largely depends on your intention.
Though it is tricky to choose the ideal trimmer from the straight shaft and curved shaft, you have to decide upon which type of trimmer suits best for you and your lawn from all the high-quality models. So, think over and over before going to purchase a string trimmer.