In the early 20th century, sickles were widely used in Europe and North America, and they got favor when mechanization took off. However, in the west, who want to cut grass on one acre or two, the scythe is getting a new advantage among small farmers. It might be a beneficial tool for tropical farmers who have no resources to purchase costly mowing equipment.
Some people like to mow their small lawns manually; thus, they use scythe! Scythe cut the grass, clear bushes, and small trees for keeping the lawn neat and clean. Scythe is suitable for long grass and short grass; it isn’t easy to mow. One needs a little bit of knowledge and practice to use other types of equipment.
5 Best Sickle For Cutting Grass Reviews
Buying a scythe isn’t an easy task. Depending on your requirements, you need to know which is perfect. We are here for you to choose the best scythe. As a result, we have enlisted here the best five scythes over the market with an outstanding buying guide. Let’s have a look below.
1. Zenport K310 Brush Clearing Sickle
Zenport K310 Brush Clearing Sickle is ranked number one on our list due to its impressive performance and unique features. It is designed for the entire clearing on your lawn. It assists in removing all the high weeds of vines and scrubbing tough vines undergrowth in the garden or yard. It has a 9-inch aluminum tube handle and black soft rubber grips. Besides, it includes a 9-inch carbon steel straight edge hooked blade for powerful cuts, which is helpful for many horticulture applications, whereas the overall tool length is 18-inches.
- 9-inch aluminum tube handle
- 9-inch carbon steel straight edge hooked blade offering powerful cuts
- Containing black soft rubber grips
- Designed for heavy-duty clearing
- Overall length is 18-inches
- Dimensions: 18x6x1 inches
- Weight: 13.6 ounces
- It is highly resistant and offers a better solution
- Incredibly sharp blade
- Excellent brush and vine clearing capacity
- Heavy-duty tool
- Perfect for making a quick job
- Great for tall grass and weeds
- Highly durable
- Well design but not sturdy
Zenport K310 is undoubtedly the best sickle in the market for its unique features and excellent performance.
2. Zenport K208P Harvest Sickle
The Zenport K208P Japanese harvest sickle is another outstanding tool for cutting grass because of its fantastic features and performance. The tool is used for weeding and harvesting purposes, containing a curved 6.5″ stainless steel blade with deep serrations and a plastic handle. The serrated and curved sickle blade is an excellent feature for harvesting row crops ( such as berry, vegetable, lavender, etc.), trimming, weeding, and landscape applications. The handle is made of plastic. The stainless steel and plastic handle features accomplish the strict requirements placed on agriculture and food processing tasks concerning chemical and disease preclusion.
- Containing curved stainless steel blade (6.5 inches) with deep serrations.
- Gentle hook shape blade easily pieces thick stem, bushes, and brunches
- Stainless steel and plastic handle accomplish requirements for food processing
- Including bright orange handle for easy field identification
- Imported from the USA
- Dimension: 12×1×1 inches
- Weight: 3.98 ounces
- Fantastic for dealing with Blackberry and other invasives
- Excellent performance
- Highly durable
- Easy to use and sturdy
- Great for cutting sod
- The handle is comfortable to use
- Serrated blade cuts easily with precision
- Steel is a little soft and may bend
Undoubtedly, Zenport K208P Harvest Sickle is a highly performative tool for cutting grass for its curved-shaped blade, light serration, and excellent customer ratings.
3. Tomita Knife Japanese Steel Grass Sickle
Tomita Knife Japanese Steel Grass Sickle might be the best option for you due to its fantastic performance and customer review. The handle is made of wood which offers durability and is comfortable to use. Its blade is very sharp to cut any grass, vines, and weeds. Other than that, the blade is very effortless to sharp at your home.
In addition, it is a lightweight and compact scythe that you can easily grip when doing the task on your lawn or garden. Moreover, Tomita is well-designed with good metal that ensures it is a durable, strong, and excellent product. Keep in mind that it is designed for light-duty work, such as cutting light weeds and grass by hand.
- Made in Japan
- Cutting a woody stem up to ¼ inch thick
- Extremely sharp blade
- Handle made of wood
- Dimension: 16.85 ×7.32 x 0.87 inches
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Easy to work
- Quick cutting capacity
- Easy to sharp
- Required less strength to cut
- Durable wood handle
- It is a little bit smaller
- In rare cases, the blade may dull
In a nutshell, Tomita knife 130 might be the best option for you because of its excellent performance apart from the blade dulling tendency.
4. Tomerry Japanese Gardening Weeding Sickle
Tomerry Japanese Gardening Sickle is one of the best Scythes over the market for its performance and sharpness. It is pretended and heated by Japanese craftsmen and cordially manufactured one by one. It offers maximum durability and sharpness, and the steel is solid and can be re-sharpened and used. The shape of the sickle is known as “Nejiri kama” ( twisted sickle in English). The handle consists of hardwood which is super lightweight with excellent durability.
The structure of the blade is the secret of long blade life. The cutting edge includes a 2-layer structure of steel and base iron. The soil and blade come into contact with each other while in use, and the base iron part is caught down first and turns a polished state, and the steel part remains. Thus, the sharpness stays active for a long time. Moreover, it is easy to use, and the length is 12 inches.
- Extremely sharp blade
- Durability is high
- 12.2 inches length
- Cutting edge includes the 2-layer structure of steel and base iron
- Handle made of hardwood
- Made in Japan
- Blade: 4.3 inch
- Handle: 5.1 inch
- Dimensions: 12.01×4.92×0.98 inches
- Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Sturdy and Easy to use
- Extremely durable
- Excellent for cutting down grass and brush
- Extreme sharp and efficient
- The tool is a little bit small
5. Nisaku NJP3210 7.5″ Extra-Length Sickle
Nisaku has a full line of outdoor products engineered using pure Tomita Steel east 1960 manufacturing techniques. The blade is 7″ in length made of stainless steel with excellent tensile strength for more cutting power. Stainless steel is a breeze to wash and rust-resistant. The handle is made of hardwood, polished 23.25″ long, ensuring durability and easy gripping.
Well-design construction limiting the use of spot welds, assuring your scythe is highly durable, has lots of digging power, and is bend resistant. In addition, Nisaku NPJ3210 can use for multi-purposes such as cutting grass, weeds, branches, and even edging lawns or sod. The extended handle offers you more length to trim low-hanging branches.
- 7″ stainless steel sharpened blade
- 23.25″ durable hardwood handle
- Outstanding tensile strength for more cutting power
- Rust-resistant stainless steel
- Multi-purpose using capacity such as cutting grass, branches, weeds, and edging lawn or sod
- Ensuring extra reach for accessing hanging branches
- Dimension: 27.5×7.5×1 inches
- Weight: 10.5 ounces
- Excellent blade shape
- Forged from SKS steel
- 2-foot handle offers easy to reach back under trees and brush to clear the undergrowth
- Incredible sharp blade
- The wood handle is smooth and durable
- Elegant design and user friendly as well
- Soft steel blade that dull fast
- In rare cases, the blade may break.
Therefore, this grass whip and a weeding sickle are very efficient and elegant to look at, including lots of features and multi-purposes using capacity.
Things to Consider Before Buying A Grass Sickle
Choosing the right sickle for cutting grasses is not so easy for beginners. For helping those, we are going to provide a buyer guide. We think this guide will help them choose the right sickle according to their requirements and type of work.
The most critical factors while choosing a sickle are the blade and the snath. It would also be best to consider the sickle handle’s length, weight, and durability.
Three different types of blades: Grass, Bush, and Ditch, are available in sickle. Though all of these blades are versatile and able to handle various conditions, some have special features for managing different jobs. So, you should choose the blade according to the type of mowing you will do.
You should choose the type of snath depending on your height. There are two types of snaths, one is straight, or another is bent. If your height is less than 65″, you should select a straight snath. On the other hand, you should choose a bent snath if you are taller than 65″.
If your lawn has large size grass and you don’t want to bend yourself while cutting grass, you should go for a long-handled sickle.
Good weight distribution is significant for a sickle. If you buy a heavy sickle, it will make you tired after some time of working. So, you should select a sickle that will be lightweight.
Durability is a necessary factor when you are choosing a good scythe. You have to select a scythe with a stainless steel blade to avoid rust and a robust material-made handle to avoid breakage.
Hopefully, you have got a clear idea about the best scythe over the markets. Our Buyer’s Guide will help you to choose the best one according to your requirement. Nevertheless, if you don’t select any of them from our list, our first recommendation is Zenport K310 Brush clearing sickle for its fantastic performance and unique features. Our second recommendation is Zenport K208P Harvest Sickle for its curved shape blade and durability. It never means other products on our list have any little. Every one of them was included after massive market research, analyzing customers’ reviews and ratings.
1 thought on “5 Best Sickle for Cutting Grass & Weeding in Tough Areas”