Most effective ways of weeding lawn for beginners: As a homeowner, the first and most important task to get a clean and tidy yard is weeding. Most homeowners are searching for the easiest and best way of weeding so that they can clean their yard in the short term and with fewer efforts without damaging their lawn. When you are a beginner in lawn care, you might face many difficulties when you start weeding on your lawn. But don’t worry, our main aim is to make your job easy and fast. Just keep following our instructions.
In this article, I will explain to you the most effective ways of weeding so that you can be benefited and do your job avoiding any difficulties.
Best time of weeding:
As you are a beginner, you have to find out the best time of weeding in your lawn at first. The most crucial point is that you need to be alert for weeds, and you have to deal with them immediately; thus, you can get rid of them in a very short time. In addition, it is a year-round activity, and you have to make a schedule all year round. And become proactive when your time has come without worrying about what you do to minimize weeding from the lawn.
But the best time for weeding your lawn is in spring and early summer because the weeds become emerging in this season, and it is easy to control. You have to do your job thoroughly between March and June, and after that, you can follow light weeding all year-round.
But many garden specialists recommend making your job break down into small, manageable chunks to fit it into your busy life. They advise you to spend at least five minutes every day of your busy life, which is very effective if you have a medium to a large lawn. It spends about 30-35 hours of your time per year, and it becomes fit with your daily tasks.
Weeding after rain: It is one of the best techniques to remove weeds from your lawn. When your soil is moist or wet, it becomes soft and loose. If you are planning to weed your lawn by pulling or digging by hand, follow this method after every time there is heavy rain or heavy water. You must be careful when you weed after rain because you don’t want to compact the dirt down while walking. It makes your job difficult.
Why weeding your lawn is a difficult task?
If you can control and minimize weeds from the lawn, you can’t expect an entire weed-free yard in a short period. When you use any powerful chemicals, there is a weed-suppressing membrane that can still get back weeds. If you lay down a horticultural membrane, you will never have to weed again. It is very effective, which is suggested by many lawn owners. When you follow mulching to control weeds, you may notice that many tiniest weeds are emerging from soil mixed with compost or other mulching materials.
Annual weeds are growing on top, and they can see around the side of light, excluding mulch. So, your weeding task becomes easier if you accept that weeds will always come back, and you have to fight longer to get rid of them. Anyway, you have to follow strategies for controlling weeds and allow it as a daily part of your busy life as brushing your hair.
Why is weeding on the lawn important?
If you think weeding on the lawn is essential only for aesthetic reasons, it is only intended to keep your yard look pretty, then you are wrong. You don’t think about how quickly a weed tends to grow. Ultimately, it competes with your desired plants for temperature, space, sunlight, and most nutrients. You planned for a better lawn to keep the optimum spacing for your every desired plant, but when any weeds are growing, there have space and water problems since you didn’t account for that. It becomes a serious problem when it is hot during the summer months because there is always a water shortage.
Effective ways of weeding lawn for beginners:
If you think you can remove weed from your lawn following a single task, then you are wrong. You may face many challenging situations. Depending on the situation, you have to follow the best ways from various ways. You have to decide on whether you choose natural weed control methods or chemical controls. Though chemicals have a hazardous effect on lawn plants, in some cases, there is no way of using chemicals to control annual or perennial weeds. Some of the fundamental ways of controlling weeds are stated below to make your job convenient.
Always choose the right tools: To make your job much faster, you have to choose the right tools for weeding your lawn. When you have specific tools for performing your job, it is effortless to pull weeds efficiently and less tiring. So, choose and keep the right tools according to your situation to make your work easy and convenient. Always keep a garden fork or trowel when you are outside so that you can remove the baby weeds when you stay a few moments on your lawn.
Natural weed controls:
1. Dig out: It is one of the most effective methods to control weeds naturally. If it is possible to dig out the plant completely, don’t delay doing it by hand, including roots. Do your job carefully. If. If you leave a scrap of roots, it would be dangerous for your lawn as it can regenerate very soon.
2. Let sleeping weeds lie: You may notice or be astonished that every square of your lawn contains weed seeds. But only the upper few inches get proper light to germinate, so dig and cultivate repeatedly so that weed seeds come out the upper surface to let ants feed. Keep in mind that weed seeds remain dormant for a long time.
3. Using mulches: It is also one of the easiest and productive methods to remove weeds. It is effective because it keeps the soil cool and moist, which is beneficial for your desired plants. Find out the weeded areas and cover them with organic mulch like straw, papers, water hyacinth, composting materials, well-rotted manure, bark clippings, different colorful bags, black plastic, etc. The 2-3 inches deep materials hinder light from arriving in weeds, thus depriving light of the weeds.
The weeds can’t complete the photosynthesis process from which the plant produces food and energy, so ultimately, the weeds die off. If you want a quick response, hand weed your plants, then cover the area with rotted manure or compost, or other mulch. Weeds die without light. If they try to grow, they grow rapidly as the soil has much nutrition, and then it will be easy to pull out the weeds when they reappear. Follow the mulching methods in February when the weeds remain dormant, and it will take about two to four months to kill off creeping weeds.
4. Hoe your lawn: Hoeing is also an important task to control your weeds at the primary stages. Pull when wet; hoe when dry. You need to hoe your lawn as soon as the weeds emerge and you see the smallest shimmer of green weeds. One word saying is you have to start hoeing before you can see the weeds. It is not a heavy task; just tickling the top few inches of the surface with a hoe can cut off the heads of any annual weeds. It is very effective and suitable for row crops like vegetables, fruits and so on. It can cover a vast area in a short time and deliver you a perfect weed-free lawn efficiently.
5. Cut the top of weeds: When you fail to remove weeds through all your natural methods, try to chop off their heads using a trimmer. Cutting back the top of perennial weeds can reduce reseeding, thus limiting their spread. You may follow pruning but carefully noticed that weeds don’t get mature enough to produce viable seeds, so cut the top to keep them away from spreading.
6. Water the plants you desire, not weeds: It is an effective way to control weeds. You must avoid watering the weed seeds as weeds. Its seed needs water to complete its life cycle or germinate, so you have to follow some special watering methods so that weeds don’t get water to survive. Placing drip or soaker hoses beneath the mulch is a better way to water your desired plants leaving nearby weeds.
Control of weeds with chemicals:
7. Using weedkiller chemicals: Chemical control is one of the most effective ways to control weeds. Some weeds can survive for many years, and it is sometimes impossible to weeding your lawn through non-chemicals. And you are recommended a spot treatment rather than a spray as it is impossible to protect your desired plants adjacent to weeds. You have to spray on a wind-free day, and you must avoid rainy days because the rain can wash out your chemicals. If you want to get a good result, cover the weeds with a plastic bag and spray inside.
But chemicals are not safer for your lawn and you. It has a residual effect on soil, and weeds become resistant after a certain period. On the other hand, chemicals are very costly.
Weed controls by home-made chemicals:
8. Vinegar spray: Vinegar is known to be an important homemade element that can kill weeds from the ground level. Mix some dishwashing liquid with strong vinegar-like 15-20% acetic acid and spray it with a sprayer for a better result to break up the vinegar to absorb very quickly. Wear protective clothing and eye protection while spraying.
9. Alcohol spray: Alcohol spray is another essential homemade control of weeds as it will dry up the weeds. Alcohol lowers water from the soil. On the other hand, weeds need water to resist. Weeds can not complete their life cycle, and day by day, the plant becomes dry and dies because of lacking water.
10. Saltwater spray: Homemade saltwater is also used to control weeds properly. You may boil salty water for a few minutes to get better performance. Pour the water on the lawn surface where weeds emerge and leave them to dry, and ultimately the weeds become dead.
11. Spray juice of citrus: Citric acid strips the protective membrane off of the weeds. You can spray lemon juice or other citrus juice with water and spray on weeds. A few days later, the plant will dry without coating.
12. Pour sugar water: You may pour some sugar water to control weeds. It is eco-friendly among all homemade weeding methods. It will decrease the amount of nitrogen in the soil; that’s why weeds become dry and die.
Though all the above-mentioned homemade chemicals effectively control weeds from the lawn, you can’t be sure that all your homemade substances are safe for the yard. On the other hand, it is not cheaper. Vinegar contains 20% acetic acid, which can burn your soil and eyes very badly as well as it can damage your plants. Saltwater can leach into the soil and damage the essential microorganisms in the soil. Alcohol spray is also costly and has a damaging effect on soil.
If you are a beginner in lawn care or you’re working in a wild and weedy space, perhaps you are not satisfied with your first season of weeding. It will likely be a rough one. But don’t lose hope, commit to a lawn weeding schedule, avoid taking more space in a day that you can’t manage.
When you have more weeds to handle, follow weedy areas mowing until you are ready to overcome them. Suppose you want to be a gardener at heart. In that case, I hope the ways mentioned above of weeding your lawn can improve your attitude and brighten your spirits if you follow the best practices in terms of your conditions. So, keep visiting our blog or website and be an expert gardener.