Are you a beginner in lawn care and starting up a lawn care routine? If your answer is Yes, I am a beginner in lawn care, and you want to be a decent homeowner, then it’s okay. Don’t worry, relax for a few moments and start following some special tips and techniques that I will tell you in this article. So, let’s go…
Why is lawn care necessary?
If you are a beginner in lawn care and are in charge of your lawn care, taking care of your lawn is very important to make a stunning landscape. People see your yard for the first sight when they visit you in your home, and a good impression is created in their minds.
Many homeowners have a few ideas at the beginning, but most of them are introduced with mowing, fertilizing, weeding, mulching, watering and some other tasks related to lawn care. So, if you are one of those, well, you have an ABC idea, and from those, you have got confidence. So, carefully follow the unique guide and learn what you need to know about taking care of your lawn in detail.
Lawn care for beginners; Figure out your baseline:
Before starting a lawn care task, the first step of lawn care is figuring out your baseline. You need to have a baseline on which tasks you need to improve and make better your lawn. If your lawn is full of crabgrass and you notice dead spots in your outdoor furniture or pets or soil is more compact, all of these problems are symptoms of an unhealthy dull lawn, and it’s time to solve these problems.
When you figure out a baseline, you have to bear in mind your regional weather conditions and soil type. You have to think about where you are and what your long-cherished dream must be included in your schedule plan.
Plans of main six elements:
As soon as you introduce the right conditions of your lawn, you don’t stay away without doing any work. You have to prepare a plan for your desired goals, and it needs to know mainly a few elements. Such as-
Weeding is one of the most essential and beneficial tasks for your lawn to make it look even beautiful. Weeds are the undesired plant, so it’s complete with your plants for light, temperature, water, and mostly stolen nutrients. So, you have to remove these weeds from your lawn as soon as it emerges. Some of the common weeds to encounter are-
- White clover, etc.
The most effective way you have to follow to remove these weeds is to pull them out with roots. You can also kill them by using many biological, natural, or chemical compounds. You can also use heavy lawn care equipment to pull them out.
2. Mowing & trimming:
It is the first and most crucial task for a healthy lawn. If you think this task is hard from your experience, I think you are mowing your lawn incorrectly, and you don’t even notice that before. To keep your lawn grass healthy and evergreen as well, the proper way of mow is the key to a spiffy look in your yard. If you want to be a pro in mowing, follow some special mowing tips and adhere to your technique to make it perfect. Some basic considerations about mowing-
- Blades: When you start to mow your lawn, make sure that mowing blades must be sharp enough to ensure a clean cut. If your blades are not sharp enough, you don’t get a good cut in your lawn grass as they tear it, and it is harmful to your lawn. If your blades become dull, you need to go to your local home care store. They will back it to you the same day you give them to make it sharp. So, make sure before using your lawnmower that it is sharp enough to make a good cut as before.
- Proper height of grass: The appropriate height of the grass is another crucial factor to make a gorgeous look of your lawn. Height should be adjusted before starting to mow with a lawnmower if you need an extended cut or short cut, so fix it before, but over mowing becomes harmful for your lawn grass and gives a negative impact on the growth of lawn grass. So, mow with a moderate height, sure that it cuts one-third of the grass height. Mow your lawn every 6 to 7 days interval, and lawn grass will be thankful to you.
- Time of mow: The time of your mow is also another important consideration. The exact time of mowing is when you see some dry grass on your lawn. You need to water the yard and notice that your wet grass is already weighed down and dry grass is upright and ready to cut. So, cut in this time to remove all dry grass to make healthier grass and cleaner yards, and cleaner clothes.
- Trimming: It is an essential task for your trimming lawn regularly with a perfect trimmer.
To make your lawn healthier and evergreen, it must need sunlight and water for proper growth, but you don’t supply nutrients from those sources. You need to supply these nutrients through the proper amount and time of fertilization. You can find an appropriate combination of fertilizer in the local market or lawn care services company. But it doesn’t do any work but harm if you don’t choose the fertilizer properly. So, you need to introduce and follow some steps on which you require-
- Soil pH: The main work you have to do before choosing fertilizer is checking your soil pH, whether acidic or basic. You need to check which test is available in your local lawn care store. If it is acidic, use some essential fertilizer or lime in your soil to grow correctly. If it is bare soil, use acidic fertilizer.
- The proper time of fertilizer: You need to fertilize your lawn at the appropriate time. Many professionals recommended using fertilizer twice per year when required. Use fertilizer in spring or summer for cool-climate grass and in fall or winter for warm-season grass.
- Use compost: Use compost to feed your grass and supply nutrients as it is eco-friendly, and by supplying nutrients, the lawn becomes evergreen.
Watering is vital for the lawn as we know water is life for everything, but it is a somewhat complicated step. It is not the only work that you water your plant when it becomes dry. You need to keep your grass hydrated to ensure that it never gets thirsty. You have to follow some tips-
- Water every week: You have to water your lawn once or twice per week to avoid oversaturation.
- Deep-water: When you water your lawn, ensure that the water gets down into the roots to supply sufficient moisture. Shallow water doesn’t deliver enough moisture to soil and grasses.
- Water early morning: Water your plant early in the morning so that it gets down in the soil and supplies sufficient moisture to the soil and grassroots before sunlight has peaked. A delay of watering allows evaporation before getting down into the soil, and at night it becomes oversaturated, allowing fungal disease.
Aeration is another essential task to give your grass some breathing room. If you don’t remember the last aeration, you need to aerate your lawn immediately to allow your soil to reduce thatch and introduce sufficient oxygen to your soil. Proper supply of moisture, nutrition, and air largely depends on your aeration tasks. You can use a core aerator or a liquid lawn aerator. Here are some tips for aeration-
- Inspect your lawn: Before going to aerate your lawn, you need to inspect your lawn to ensure that there is a lot of thatch or your soil is hard or compact enough. If so, you need to aerate as soon as possible.
- Aeration time: The best time of aeration is spring or fall when your lawn becomes moist enough but not wet. You must ensure that your aerator is sharp enough to complete your job perfectly.
- Avoid over aeration: You have to aerate your lawn usually once or twice a year. If it is over, it can damage your lawn badly.
Seeding is another important task after every time aeration to get a lush, healthy, and vibrant landscape. Aeration holes are the perfect place for the germination of your new seed. You have to figure out the right seed that suits your lawn and matches perfectly with your lawn grass and your local environment.
Do you have a dream of having an evergreen landscape? If you have a dream, don’t waste your time; start doing your job from the beginning. Carefully handle all your jobs by following the above techniques. Proper care of your lawn will make it look beautiful and make it healthy, and that’s why your neighbors will envy you while you sit back, relax and enjoy your lawn. If you face any problems while you are working on your lawn, please contact us. We can help you to achieve your desired goals as far as possible. So, take care of your lawn and stay with us; see you in another article with another special tip.